For outdoor lighting, it is recommended to maintain specific foot-candle (fc) levels based on the area’s requirements. Here are the recommended fc levels for different outdoor applications:
- Pedestrian Walkways and Pathways: Maintain fc levels between 1 and 5 for general visibility and safety.
- Parking Lots: Ensure fc levels ranging from 1 to 5 fc for general parking areas, while specific areas like entrance/exit ramps or pedestrian crossings may require higher levels, such as 10 to 20 fc.
- Roadways and Streets: Maintain fc levels between 1 and 2 fc for residential streets, and 2 to 5 fc for urban or commercial streets. High-traffic areas or intersections may require higher levels, such as 5 to 10 fc.
- Parks and Recreational Areas: Adjust fc levels based on activities. For general park lighting, maintain levels from 1 to 5 fc. However, sports fields or outdoor courts may require higher levels, such as 10 to 20 fc.
- Building Exteriors and Facades: Determine fc levels based on aesthetic considerations. Use levels ranging from 0.5 to 2 fc for subtle accent lighting, and 5 fc or higher for more prominent illumination.
- Outdoor Security Lighting: Ensure fc levels between 5 and 10 fc or higher based on the specific security requirements of the area.
Remember to consider local lighting codes, and standards, or consult with lighting professionals to determine precise recommendations tailored to your outdoor lighting project and also to create a professional photometric plan.